Sunday, November 30, 2008

Of all the things we've read this semester, I think I enjoyed "Watchmen" the most. I don't think it had anything to do with the fact that it was a graphic novel; the same story and characters would have still been enjoyable (though not nearly as effective) as a regular novel. I also enjoyed studying other works, such as those of James Dickey; it was interesting to see the correlations between the works and the author's life.

I did not like some of the stories out of the literature book; specifically, I disliked stories like "Man from Mars" and "Indian Uprising" the most. "Man from Mars" didn't really have much of a story; nothing too exciting happened over the course of the story, and it ended without much change in any of the characters' lives. "Indian Uprising" was even worse; it was extremely difficult to read, because I did not know what was going on.

Still, I wouldn't have left those out of the curriculum; while they were not something I would ever read on my own, I feel that they were important to teach us about modern literature and postmodernism. If I were to add anything to the curriculum, it would be a few of the Led Zeppelin songs written by Jimmy Page -- for the same reasons as I wrote in my page of the Wiki project.

1 comment:

David Romness said...

I completely agree about the Indian Uprising. I can't believe that it was even included in the Lit book, it seems just like a few pages of nonsensical blabber.